29 Nov 🎄 Christmas Gift Ideas : Zero Waste and DIY 🎄
Whether you’re a big fan of Christmas or some kind of sweet-talking Grinch, it is now impossible to deny that Christmas is around the corner. As we enter December, it is now more-than-socially acceptable to talk about the holidays. It’s time to pull out your must-haves: Advent calendar 🍫 candy canes 🍬 and your favorite playlist 🎶 (are you more a Michael Bublé, Mariah Carey or Vince Guaraldi enthusiast?). It’s also time to add some new must-haves to your holiday preparations: raw materials, DIY and zero waste. In short, everything you need to be the highlight of this upcoming green and responsible Christmas 💚
SIMPLE CHRISTMAS DIY’S
Think of making products as an extension of what was already part of your Christmas traditions: drinking eggnog with your kids, making a batch of meat pies and baking donuts with your family. There are even common ingredients between cooking and DIY, so you can keep your bearings! A little baking soda in your cleaning products and a pinch in your Yule logs. But be careful not to mix your pound of butter with your shea butter 🥴. Or even worse, your baking soda with sodium cocoyl isethionate (SCI) 😳
December is a time to praise for slowness. During the holidays, everything goes quickly: parties are hustling, gift exchanges are multiplying and feasts are succeeding. Through this hustle and bustle, taking the time to slow down and get your hands dirty with DIY 👩🔬 are the greatest gifts you can give to your loved ones and yourself. Pro tip: this kind of gift will inevitably be a success. Such a success that your loved ones won’t miss an opportunity to ask you for more, and you’ll “sacrifice” yourself for the cause, with a large dose of self-love and generosity ❤️
Don’t get us wrong! When we talk about taking time, we’re not talking about dozens of hours toiling away at work 😅. The best recipes are the simplest. And the simplest ones are the most loved! At ROSECITRON, the most proven recipes among our team are the ones that have 5 ingredients or less while needing less than 30 minutes to make. The ingredients are super accessible (on our website for example 😉😉😉), the steps are simple and the time investment is within reach (3o minutes will never have been so weel invested ✨).
ROXANNE’S FAVORITE RECIPE
When the time came to name our representative elf for DIY, all eyes were on our chief elf, Roxanne Clément-Gauvin, founder of ROSECITRON, who is always having fun testing and refining DIY recipes. This year, she tested a new recipe, which quickly rose in our personal charts (even dethroning some of our all-time favorites, that’s saying something!). And it’s a recipe (courtesy of Planète Zéro Déchet) for a disarmingly simple (and effective!) bath bomb 🧼
For about 4 to 5 large balls, you need:
- 10 tablespoons of sodium bicarbonate
- 5 tablespoons of citric acid
- 2.5 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- Dried flowers (optional)
- Molds (for cupcakes of ice cube)
- Large mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon or spatula
And the steps are not much more complicated. You don’t have to break a sweat to impress the crowd!
- Combine all the dry ingredients (sodium bicarbonate, citric acid, cornstarch and dried flowers) in a large bowl.
⚠️ Be careful not to breathe in the dust from the citric acid.
- Melt the coconut oil and add it to the dry ingredients.
- Mix (with a wooden spoon, a spatula or your fingers) all the ingredients until you get a homogeneous texture, resembling wet sand.
- Pour the mixture into molds of the shape and size of your choice (depending on how you want your bath bombs to look).
- Place the molds in the refrigerator for a few hours or until the bath bombs are well combined.
- Give them as gifts (of keep them in an airtight container as a gift from you to you 🙊).
Simple, right? And the result is a real charm! We guarantee it… and so do your loved ones 😉
A SEASONAL DIY BOX IN THE IMAGE OF WINTER ❄️
To simplify your introduction to DIY (or to give an original, local gift), we’re offering seasonal DIY Kits. The winter one is perfect for those who are chilly 🥶 about DIY. It includes everything you need to make (with family, friends or solo):
- 5 shower steam tablets (the “shower” format of bath bombs that naturally raise the vapors of essential oils to help decongest)
- 2 hand butters (guaranteed hydration, no more dry hands!)
- 2 decongestant balms (to be applied to the chest to clear the airways)
- 2 lip balms (to say goodbye to cracked lips and embrace winter 💋 )
What more 😉
FOR AN ECO-FRIENDLY AND SLOW CHRISTMAS
Think again. It can definitely be legit (and cute) to give your loved ones handmade gifts even if you’re older than 10 ✂️ Take the time to gather with friends and family, get your hands dirty, and make homemade goods for the people you love, with Christmas blasting, peppermint tea, and a few Christmas canes.
👉 We can already smell the good scents from your house to our headquarters. It smells like a sweet December, responsible Christmas, eco-friendly gifts and love galore 💕